The Thomas T. Taber Museum of the Lycoming County Historical Society will host its Society Program at 2 p.m. Sunday, featuring Guy Graybill, author of "Prohibition's Prince" and "Prince and the Paupers," which reveal the saga of Prince Farrington and his bootlegging legacy.
The books will be available for sale in the museum store and Graybill will sign autographs. His free lecture will reveal finds of Prohibition era bottles found in secret rooms in Pennsylvania houses.
In association with the event is the current summer exhibit, "Time in a Bottle," which runs through Aug. 23 and highlights the tradition of beer-making and the containers in which the liquid was placed.
William M. Mette was a bottler of sarsaparilla, mineral water, ale and beer as early as 1873 and into the 1890s. Llewelyn Moyer had various occupations including that of bartender and as proprietor of the Hotel Delmonico. For a decade, he was proprietor of the Hotel Llewelyn before becoming owner of the Champion Bottling Works. The Moyer family continued to own the bottling works for many years, at one time known as the Chero Cola Bottling Works and later, Moyer's Bottling Works. A number of beer bottles from Flock's, Star, Koch's (now Bald Eagle) as well as bottles from Siegel, J. Rider and Brother, Sherman Bottling Co., Keystone Bottling Co., Levi Bender, and the Williamsport Bottling Co. are included in the exhibit.
The exhibit also includes figural bottles and hand-blown flasks collected by Catherine S. Nutt. Several glass blowing houses are represented in this collection including the Albany Glass Works; Coffin and Hay, Hammonton, N.J.; Kensington Glass Works, Philadelphia; and the Keene Marlboro Street Glassworks, Keene, N.H.
Also included are a Doctor Fischs Bitters bottle from Philadelphia, circa 1866; a Brown's Celebrated Indian Herb Bitters bottle, depicting an Indian maiden, circa 1867; several calabash flasks, and a E.C. Booz's Old Cabin Whiskey bottle, in the shape of a log cabin, presumably giving rise to the reference to alcohol as "booze."
A highlight of the exhibit are the 26 bottles and jugs of prohibition alcohol recently discovered in a hidden room in a house that was being remodeled on Glenwood Avenue. They are sealed with labels indicating that they were bottled 1919-1921.
Robert E. Kane, Jr. and Andy Harris have served as the co-curators of this exhibit, having loaned from their collections.
The museum is located at 858 W. Fourth St. For more information, visit www.tabermuseum.org.