An event held recently at the Woman's Club of Williamsport, 414 Walnut St., featured Gary W. Parks of the Lycoming County Historical Society, in the program "Tales, Treasures and Trivia." Joan Gingrich, Women's Club program/entertainment chairman, introduced the speaker.
Since January 1911, Parks has served as Executive Director of the Thomas T. Taber Museum. He is a graduate of the University of North Carolina with a master's degree in history. He has written many articles on local history, which have been published in Susquehanna Life and has received the Union County Historical Society Preservation Award.
Parks' program featured background information regarding the Lycoming County Historical Society and the Thomas T. Taber Museum regarding history and exhibits. Since 1907, the year a charter was granted incorporating the Historical Society as an organization, through the establishment of 858 West Fourth St. as permanent headquarters in 1939, to the present, when approximately 15,000 visitors benefit annually from the Taber Museum's services, the organization has evolved.
Visitors to the museum may visit exhibits focusing on the regional history of Northcentral Pennsylvania. Of interest are the art gallery, period rooms, the military and Shempp Toy Train Exhibits and others.
Following the speaker's remarks, members of the Women's Club competed in teams to identify artifacts such as what turned out to be a fishing lure, hog scraper, shaving cup and shoe stretcher. The objects were supplied by Parks.
The Woman's club, incorporated in 1924, meets most Thursdays throughout the year for games, luncheons, periodic special events and programs. For more information about membership, activities or programs, call 322-3610.